24 May Council Recommendation and Framework on High-Quality Early Childhood Education and Care Systems
On 22 May, Ministers of Education adopted a Recommendation on High-Quality Early Childhood Education and Care Systems at the Council meeting of the European Union’s Education, Youth, Culture and Sports Council.
Goal of the recommendation is to:
- Improve access to high-quality early childhood education and care systems in line with the statements set out in the ‘Quality framework for early childhood education and care’, as presented in the Annex of the Recommendation and with the 11th principle of the European Pillar of Social Rights.
- Work towards ensuring that early childhood education and care services are accessible, affordable and inclusive.
- Support the professionalisation of early childhood education and care staff, including leaders.
- Enhance the development of early years’ curricula in order to follow children’s interests, nurture their wellbeing and meet the unique needs and potential of each individual child, including those with special needs or in a vulnerable or disadvantaged situation.
- Promote transparent and coherent monitoring and evaluation of early childhood education and care services at the appropriate levels with a view to policy development and implementation.
- Aim at ensuring adequate funding and a legal framework for the provision of early childhood education and care services.
- Report through existing frameworks and tools on experiences and progress regarding access to and quality of early childhood education and care systems.
A list of the other conclusions and recommendations relating to education and youth adopted in May